Below is the recipe for this easy, delicious French Onion Soup I have adapted from Tip Hero to make Whole30 compliant. I am only cooking the onions and using them to add to my other meals throughout the week. Besides, it is too hot in Arizona right now for soup, even one as good as this one!
Ingredients for caramelized onions:
• 3 pounds onions, peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced (I do not cut in half)
• 2 tablespoons clarified butter, or Ghee
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme
• ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
The following items are acceptable AFTER you end your Whole30 cycle!
• 8 cups (2 32-ounce cartons) beef broth (bone broth for Whole30)
• ⅓ cup brandy, optional but recommended
• 4 to 6 baguette slices, toasted (1 slice per bowl). I sometimes bake and use frozen garlic toast when short on time.
• 1 ⅓ to 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (⅓ cup per bowl)
Directions for cooking
1. Place the onion slices in a 5-quart (or larger) slow cooker, along with the clarified butter, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Need a crock-pot? Try this Crock-Pot 6.5-Quart, Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker.
2. Cover the crockpot and cook on low overnight, or for 10-12 hours (9-10 hours for caramelized onions). The onions should be dark golden brown and soft.
3. After a few hours or the next morning, add the beef broth (ONLY if continuing to soup step 4 below), balsamic vinegar, and fresh thyme.
The following directions are to complete the soup AFTER you end your Whole30 cycle!
4. Cover and continue cooking on low for 6 to 8 hours.
5. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired, and stir in the brandy, if using.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
7. In evenly-portioned amounts, ladle the soup into oven-safe bowls. Be sure to place a baking sheet underneath!
8. Top each bowl with a baguette slice and the shredded Gruyere.
9. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted.
10. Turn the oven to broil and brown the tops for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before enjoying!