1/2 small (2-pound) green cabbage, cored and very thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
1/2 medium white onion, peeled and very thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
2 carrots, peeled and shredded (about 1/2 cup)
1 small jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, minced
2 green onions finely chopped
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon honey or 1 – 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, onion, carrot, jalapeño, and green onions.
- Whisk vinegar, honey (or sugar) and crushed red pepper together in a large bowl.
- Add cabbage mixture; toss to combine and coat evenly.
- Season to taste with oregano and kosher salt and serve.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour before serving.
Curtido is ready within one hour, but improves with time. It can be stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to one month.